After eating a dish of thawed fish, the family contracted a very rare disease

    0
    79

    After eating a dish of thawed fish, the family contracted a very rare disease

    The first symptoms were severe muscle pain in the limbs, dark brown urine and acute inflammation of the kidneys.

    Three members of one families in Australia have contracted a rare disease after eating a dish of thawed royal ethelis fish, Newsweek writes.

    About 10 hours after dinner, the family went to the hospital, as everyone was experiencing severe muscle pain in their limbs. The 20-year-old also reported dark brown urination and was diagnosed with acute inflammation of the kidneys, possibly because he ate two servings of fish.

    All family members were diagnosed with Huff's disease, also known as rhabdomyolysis.

    What is rhabdomyolysis

    The disease causes the destruction of muscle tissue and the release of the content of muscle fibers into the blood, which leads to unexplained muscle rigidity and an increase in serum creatine kinase levels.

    According to the authors of a recent report on the disease in the journal BMJ, Huff's disease was first described in 1924. It is extremely rarely diagnosed in the US and China. Usually, infection occurs when eating buffalo fish, crayfish and salmon. The incident in Australia was the first reported case of infection in that country.

    Scientists do not know exactly what causes rhabdomyolysis after eating seafood, writes Newsweek. It is possible that there is an unidentified and unisolated toxin in the fish that could directly cause rhabdomyolysis.

    After eating a dish of thawed fish, the family contracted a very rare disease

    What can be the cause of the disease

    According to the authors of the report, one of the proposed mechanisms for “triggering” the disease is a chemical compound similar to palytoxin. This is a non-protein toxin produced by some representatives of marine invertebrates.

    It acts on sodium-potassium, hydrogen and calcium ion channels.

    Researchers note that fish that have become the cause of human infection, are often omnivores and are higher up the food chain. This may mean that the toxins in their meat are accumulating, becoming more concentrated over time.

    “In this particular case, the cause of the infection was a royal aetelis that feeds on cephalopods, and they accumulate several toxins like palytoxin,” the authors of the report note. “However, the suggestion that this toxin is involved in the pathogenesis of rhabdomyolysis remains controversial, since it was found only in marine fish, but not in freshwater fish, which also cause Huff disease.”