Spread the love

Announcements coming soon on construction inspections, says Boulet

Photo: Jeff McIntosh The Canadian Press The Minister of Labor was reacting to the revelations from “Devoir” on the decline in investigations carried out by the Régie du Bâtiment on construction sites concerning contractors who do not have a license.

Isabelle Porter in Quebec

Posted at 2:14 p.m.

  • Quebec

The Minister of Labor, Jean Boulet, should soon make known his game plan to review the inspection system on construction sites in Quebec.

He indicated that he intended to unveil this plan “immediately” during a press scrum on Wednesday upon entering the council of ministers.

The Minister of Travail was reacting to the revelations of Devoir on the decline in investigations carried out by the Régie du Bâtiment (RBQ) on construction sites concerning contractors who do not have a license.

Questioned about the existence of a “laxity” in the investigations, Mr. Boulet responded as follows: “That, we are under review and we have intentions that we will confirm this shortly.”

The Minister of Labor had already indicated in the past that he wanted to review the inspection regime in the construction industry. According to our information, he would like to better align the interventions of the different organizations on the ground, namely the RBQ, the Construction Commission (CCQ) and the Commission for Standards, Equity, Health and Safety at Work (CNESST). ) who all carry out inspections on different subjects.

Also read

  • Prohibited work often goes unpunished in Quebec
  • Few fines for work without a permit

During the parliamentary commission on Bill 51 in the spring, the Régie du Bâtiment du Québec (RBQ) said it wanted to “collaborate” in the establishment of a “new inspection and surveillance model”.

On Wednesday, the minister also indicated that the RBQ had stopped carrying out systematic inspections during complaints in favor of broader investigations. “Now there are not investigations every time there is a complaint. We take into account the reality of each entrepreneur and we set up — Accès Construction — a number of years ago to fight against undeclared work. »

Teilor Stone

By Teilor Stone

Teilor Stone has been a reporter on the news desk since 2013. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining Thesaxon , Teilor Stone worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my teilor@nizhtimes.com 1-800-268-7116