Brazil: Storm kills at least 36 in southeast Brazil
< p class="sc-v64krj-0 dlqbmr">Landslide in Ilhabela, Brazil.
A strong storm accompanied by “record” rainfall killed at least 36 people in several coastal localities in the state of Sao Paulo in Brazil, following flooding and landslides during the weekend of carnival, authorities said on Sunday.
So far, 35 deaths have been recorded in the municipality of Sao Sebastiao, located about 200 km from Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo said the mayor of the city Felipe Augusto to the American television channel CNN.
Further north, in the coastal town of Ubatuba, a baby girl has died following heavy rains, according to the local government.
The government of State of Sao Paulo earlier in the day reported 19 deaths in a statement, noting that 228 people had been displaced and 338 others evacuated.
The number of people injured and missing however, has not yet been clarified by the authorities, who are still at work to help the survivors.
The rescue of a two-year-old boy who was covered in mud and a pregnant woman in labor was highlighted by authorities.
Sao Paulo State Governor Tarcisio de Freitas, who flew over the area affected by the storm, declared a state of emergency in five municipalities in this region north of Sao Paulo . He released $1.5 million for rescue operations.
The municipality of Sao Sebastiao, very busy with locals during Carnival, was one of the hardest hit by the storm. In 24 hours, 600 mm of rain were recorded, twice the monthly average, the town hall said.
About 50 houses were washed away in Sao Sebastiano. There are still people underground, Mr. Augusto pointed out.
Rainfall volumes were exceptional and broke records, he said, describing an extremely critical situation.
As in other localities in the region, the festivities have been canceled due to severe weather.
President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva will visit the area affected by the storm on Monday. Tomorrow I will travel to Sao Paulo to visit the region and support the efforts to deal with this tragedy, he wrote on Twitter.
Images of the region broadcast by local media or on social networks testify to the extent of the damage. Neighborhoods have gone under water, rubble of homes has been swept away by landslides and roads have collapsed.
In another social media message, the Brazilian president promised to bring together all levels of government to care for the injured, search for the missing, restore roads, electricity connections and communication networks.
More than a hundred firefighters are still working on this difficult terrain with vehicles and seven helicopters, said the government of Sao Paulo.< /p>
In addition, the Brazilian army was also mobilized, as well as two military aircraft. Specialized Civil Defense groups have also been deployed to the scene to reinforce the rescue device.
Minister of Integration and Regional Development, Waldez Goes, is will return to the region on Monday.
There will be no lack of human resources or equipment, he promised the Brazilian television channel GloboNews.
Brazil, which is suffering the effects of climate change, is plagued by repeated natural disasters, such as in Petropolis in the state of Rio de Janeiro, where more than 230 people have died following heavy rains in 2022.