Carpentier case: “We escaped information at certain times”

Spread the love

Carpentier case: “At certain times we escaped information”

Martin Carpentier's accident vehicle, in July 2020. (File photo)

Communication problems between those responsible for search operations were again highlighted on Monday during the public inquiry into the deaths of Norah and Romy Carpentier. Information that would have made it possible to better understand the psychological state of the father, Martin Carpentier, took a long time to be communicated.

Jean-François Ouellet, captain at the Sûreté du Québec, arrived at the scene in the middle of the night, four hours after the car accident on July 8, 2020.

He had to x27; first read the statements of Kevin Lemieux, a co-worker, and Amélie Lemieux. We have the statement that he is depressed, but that he loves his children, he said Tuesday before coroner Luc Malouin.

< p>“You have to put it in context with COVID-19. Everyone was a little depressed. »

— Jean-François Ouellet, head of the search command post

But the second declarations, according to which Martin Carpentier had not been well for a week and that he feared losing the custody of his children, were not communicated to the then head of the command post.

Investigator Kevin Camiré had this information in hand around 10 a.m., details he obtained from the new spouse of Amélie Lemieux and the grandmother of the little girls, Gaétane Tremblay.

I don't know who it is, admitted Mr. Ouellet on hearing the name of Ms. Tremblay.

In cross-examination , Mr. Ouellet said that this information would not have changed anything, because the search staff were already on the ground.

It was only around 12:55 p.m. that the risks that Martin Carpentier attempts to take his own life or harm his daughters were taken into consideration by the police.

Jean-François Ouellet was a captain in the Sûreté du Québec during the Carpentier case in July 2020.

In the middle of the night, while the first staff were wondering if the children were with Martin Carpentier at the time of the accident, Mr. Ouellet went near the damaged car.

He found that the vehicle's rear seat belts were fastened and that Martin Carpentier's wallet and cell phone were in the passenger compartment.

However, he says he didn't notice the melted ice cream, the sandal and the electronic tablet that had been left in the backseat. His colleagues haven't told him either.

Is it normal that you didn't know about the sandal, the tablet, etc.?, asked coroner Luc Malouin.

We escaped at certain times of the information, and no, it is not normal, replied Mr. Ouellet.

Jean-François Ouellet asked to obtain teams of search at 5 a.m. on July 9. It was then that he learned that the research team from the Quebec region was already mobilized in Alma with Prime Minister François Legault.

Requests that have were made too late, according to retired police officer André Bernard who testified last week. had to come in as backup.

These search specialists began their operations around 10 a.m. on the morning of July 9, more than 12 hours after the accident.

With the collaboration of Marie-Pier Mercier

Previous Article
Next Article