Spread the love

Clearing of collapsed Baltimore bridge begins

Photo: Getty Images via Agence France-Presse Clearing the bridge and freeing the container ship is a priority for local authorities, aware of the economic impact of blocking the Port of Baltimore. A crane must lift a first piece of the structure previously cut by the emergency services.

France Media Agency in Baltimore

7:04 p.m.

  • United States

The clearance of the huge bridge which collapsed this week in Baltimore, in the United States, must begin on Saturday, a process which promises to be long and difficult, local authorities announced.

A crane must lift a first piece of the structure previously cut by the emergency services.

“This is a first step before many, many others,” Paul Wiedefeld, Maryland State Transportation Minister, said at a press conference. “But it’s an important step as we begin this process.” »

A US Coast Guard official, Shannon Gilreath, explained that a crane capable of lifting more than a hundred tonnes would be mobilized to move the cut part. He was unable to give the measurements of the room in question.

Maryland Governor Wes Moore clarified that it was not a part of the structure that collapsed on the container ship Dali, still on site.

Also read

  • Six people presumed dead after Baltimore bridge collapse
  • Baltimore bridge collapse blocks one of America's busiest ports
  • Is Quebec safe from a tragedy like that of Baltimore?
  • Naval security on the St. Lawrence in three questions

The boat crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge in the middle of the night earlier this week due to propulsion problems.

The governor explained that the aim was to clear an entire section of the bridge in order to open a “temporary channel”, and so that more boats could participate in the operations, but that this process would take “days “.

Clearing the bridge and freeing the container ship is a priority for local authorities, aware of the economic impact of blocking the Port of Baltimore.

“At least 8,000 dock workers have jobs that have been directly affected,” the governor said.

He also began the press conference with a thought for the victims of the tragedy.

Six workers who were working on the bridge at the time of the accident are considered dead.

The bodies of two of them were found. Operations to find the other remains are still interrupted because the authorities currently consider the work of divers at the accident site too dangerous.

Teilor Stone

By Teilor Stone

Teilor Stone has been a reporter on the news desk since 2013. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining Thesaxon , Teilor Stone worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my teilor@nizhtimes.com 1-800-268-7116