Collision between two buses kills 39 in Senegal

Spread the love

A collision between two buses killed 39 in Senegal

The victims were transported to a hospital, the carcasses of the coaches were cleared and the way was reopened to traffic, according to firefighters.

Thirty-nine people were killed and dozens more injured in a collision between two buses overnight from Saturday to Sunday in Senegal. President Macky Sall declared a three-day national mourning and announced immediate measures to improve security.

The accident, the deadliest in this country of West Africa in recent years, took place at 3:15 a.m. local time on Sunday near the town of Kaffrine, about 250 km southeast of the capital, Dakar, according to the National Brigade of firefighters.

The government announced on Sunday evening a final assessment of this accident in the locality of Sikilo, ie 39 dead, 53 injured hospitalized and 42 less injured treated in local health centers.

The two coaches were said to have carried a total of 139 passengers at the time of the accident, the government said in a statement. Ten of the injured are in a life-threatening emergency, President Sall said after going to Kaffrine hospital with his Prime Minister, Amadou Ba.

More than 20 bodies have already been identified and can soon be handed over to their families, he added.

The Head of State, who had previously decided to #x27;a three-day national mourning from Monday, promised swift action to prevent another such tragedy from happening.

We cannot risk the lives of our compatriots in a transport system that ignores respect for human life, said Mr. Sall. As of Monday, the Prime Minister will convene an interministerial council to take measures relating to the condition of vehicles, technical inspection, the issuance of driving licenses and transport schedules, he said.

>

We are of course ready, as a State, to support the transport sector for the renewal of the fleet and for the limitation of the ages of public transport vehicles that come to us from abroad, he continued, assuring that the necessary measures will be taken tomorrow.

Senegal's main opponent, Ousmane Sonko, candidate for the 2024 presidential election, tweeted that he is postponing a fundraising operation because of the accident and called on the authorities to give priority attention. to road insecurity, a scourge with disastrous human, social and economic consequences for the country.

One ​​of the coaches involved in the collision.

The mayor of Kaffrine, Abdoulaye Saydou Sow, also Minister of Town Planning and Housing, as well as the public prosecutor of the neighboring town of Kaolack attributed the collision to the bursting of a tire of one of the two coaches , which then deviated from its trajectory.

Bus and coach accidents are common in Africa due not only to poor vehicle maintenance and poor road conditions but also driver error. Indeed, many motorists hold a license bought from corrupt inspectors without having ever attended a driving school.

Twenty-one people were killed Saturday night in East Africa in a bus crash on the Kenya-Uganda border, Ugandan police said on Sunday. The majority of those who died are of Kenyan nationality, but there are also eight Ugandans. According to the police, 49 people were injured.

According to the first elements of the investigation, the driver lost control of the vehicle due to excessive speed .

The road claims many victims in Africa due to the conjunction of several technical and logistical factors.

The Ugandan government is also preparing new measures to improve road safety after a rise in the number of fatal accidents during the holiday season. According to Ugandan police, 104 road accidents were recorded in just three days, from December 30 to January 1, resulting in 35 deaths and 114 injuries.

Previous Article
Next Article