Controversial organized crime police whistleblower Noel Harder dies

Spread the love

Noel Harder, controversial organized crime police informant, dies

Noel Harder was a police informant who testified in one of Saskatchewan's largest organized crime prosecutions.

Noel Harder, the man who helped police bust a massive organized crime network in Saskatchewan, has died and his funeral was held Friday in Saskatoon.

According to his wife, he died of health complications earlier this month at the age of 43.

Mr. Harder worked as an informant for the police in Operation Forseti, which resulted in the seizure of hundreds of firearms and the seizure of more than $8 million in drugs in Western Canada. His intelligence gathering and testimony led to the conviction of 20 members of the Hells Angels and other criminal organizations.

The man was himself a former member of the Fallen Saints outlaw motorcycle club in Saskatoon before becoming a police informant.

For security reasons, he and his family had been placed under protection thanks to the federal witness protection program (PPT). But, he was kicked out of the program following numerous unspecified breaches of his agreement, documents show. Yet organized crime had put a $2 million bounty on his head.

Following this expulsion, he sued the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) believing that she would have broken her promises.

While Ottawa had wanted the trial to take place behind closed doors, he insisted on having the right to a public trial, to let people know what he and his family went through.

Noel Harder was arrested on September 25, 2018 by Saskatoon police on charges of having weapons in his car. He then spent 743 days in solitary confinement awaiting trial and was released two years ago completely broken, according to his wife

At the #x27;fall 2020, he pleaded guilty to the possession of weapons count and was released immediately due to the extraordinary length of his stay in solitary confinement.

To his funeral on Friday, he was honored quietly by a few family members at a funeral home in downtown Saskatoon, as there was no police escort and honor guard for the one who would have helped fight organized crime in the province.

Also read:

With information from Jason Warick

Previous Article
Next Article