Convoy of Truckers: Major Donor Tries to Avoid Lawsuit

Spread the love

Convoy of truckers: a major donor tries to avoid a lawsuit

The convoy of truckers remained in downtown Ottawa from January 28 until February 19 and 20, 2022.

A New Brunswick entrepreneur, who was one of the biggest donors to the trucking convoy that crippled downtown Ottawa last winter, is asking a court in Ontario not to include him to a lawsuit for restitution.

This man, Brad Howland, gave $75,000 to the convoy. He is the subject of a motion to appoint him as the representative of all convoy donors, in a class action lawsuit on behalf of downtown Ottawa residents, contractors and workers. /p>

According to the petition filed in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Mr. Howland and the other donors knew or should have known that the convoy broke the law and disrupted the plaintiffs' lives because of the blaring horns and diesel fumes .

Those who financed the convoy acted with the intention of encouraging and facilitating these acts, according to the lawyer who filed the request, Paul Champ.

Ottawa lawyer Paul Champ specializes in human and labor rights.

The Superior Court of Justice will hear the motion in Ottawa on January 24 and 25.

According to attorney James Manson, who is representing Mr. Howland and other potential defendants, the lawsuit and the motion to add his client as a defendant are not based on any specific evidence about them.

Mr. Manson argues that it is unreasonable to attempt to prosecute thousands of random people around the world who have only donated money to a political cause.

The personal reasons of each contributor to the convoy should be examined, he adds. That would be impossible.

The convoy of truckers moved into downtown Ottawa on January 28, 2022. It remained there until police dismantled it on February 19 and 20. Most participants wanted the federal government to drop its rule on vaccinating truckers. Some also called for the end of the Trudeau government.

Brad Howland, a resident of Kars and owner of Easy Kleen Pressure Systems in Sussex Corner, was the second largest convoy donor, according to data from the GiveSendGo website. He had gone to Ottawa on February 11 and 12 to participate in the convoy, according to the request.

Brad Howland claims to have donated $75,000 to the “Freedom Convoy”.

Brad Howland confirms that he went to the protest last year. He says it was a peaceful, beautiful and legal protest that overwhelmed us with emotion.

The businessman explains that his company serves the truckers and that it was important for him to support them.

Our company and my family stand proudly alongside these men and women who defend the Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms. our great nation, said Mr. Howland.

Paul Champ argues in his petition that monetary donations like Mr. Howland's have encouraged participants and spurred them to make as much noise as possible to disrupt downtown Ottawa residents and exert pressure on elected officials.

According to Brad Howland, his business Easy Kleen in the Sussex area has been in business for over 40 years.

James Manson counters that it is impossible to prove that all the donors knew or should have known that these funds were going to be used to support wrongdoing.

Paul Champ is asking that the defendants, including several senior leaders of the trucking movement, pay the plaintiffs $290 million in general, special and punitive damages.

Based on a report by Jacques Poitras, CBC

Previous Article
Next Article