Deadly stampede in Indonesia: 32 children among the 125 dead

Spread the love

One hundred and twenty-five people died in the stampede, the youngest of whom was a child aged 2 or 3.

Thirty-two children were among the 125 killed in the stampede murder that occurred this weekend in a stadium in Indonesia, authorities said on Monday, who announced the first sanctions after this tragedy, one of the worst in the history of soccer.

The deadly mob also injured more than 300 people, some of whom are between life and death in hospitals in the eastern city of Malang; Java Island.

According to the latest data we have, out of 125 deceased people, 32 are children, the youngest of whom is a child aged two or three, said Nahar, an official from the Ministry of Women and Child Welfare.

In the face of public anger, the first sanctions fell on Monday with the dismissal of Malang city police chief Ferli Hidayat and the suspension of nine police officers, according to national police spokesman Dedi Prasetyo.


Minister responsible for security, Mahfud MD, had called on the Indonesian police to identify those who perpetrated the crimes, and to crack down.

Saturday night's drama at Kanjuruhan Stadium in Malang took place when supporters of local side Arema FC entered the pitch after their side lost 3-2 to Persebaya Surabaya, the city neighbour.

FC Arema players returned to the stadium on Monday morning to pay their respects to the victims.

Police responded by firing volleys of tear gas into the crowded stands of the stadium, full with 42,000 spectators, according to authorities.

Spectators then rushed en masse to narrow doorways where many were stomped on and suffocated, according to witnesses.

Police, two of whose officers were killed in the tragedy, described the incident as a riot, but survivors accuse him of overreacting and causing the deaths of dozens of spectators including a child of five.

Some must be accountable. Who should be condemned? said Andika, who declined to give her last name. We demand justice for our missing supporters, asked the 25-year-old Malang football fan.

A witness said that the police refused to intervene at the time of the fatal crowd movement.

“The place looked like a big cemetery. Women and children piled on top of each other.

—Eko Prianto (39), witness

I rushed to the police and soldiers for help. There was no rescuer in sight. The police did not help and a soldier threatened to beat me.

National police spokesman Dedi Prasetyo said investigators were analyzing CCTV footage from the stadium to identify suspects who carried out the destruction.

They also questioned 28 police officers, in particular about the use of tear gas canisters on the site.

Indonesians continue to pay tribute to the victims of the stampede that killed 125 people on Saturday night at a soccer stadium.

On television, the president of the Malang soccer club presented on Monday his apologies, in tears.

As president of the Arema FC club, I take full responsibility for the incidents that have occurred. I offer my deepest apologies to the victims, their families, the Indonesians and the local premier league, Liga 1, said Gilang Widya Pramana.

His team visited the site of the tragedy on Monday dressed in black T-shirts to pay their respects to the victims and lay flowers, before gathering on the ground for prayers.

The President Indonesian Joko Widodo announced on Sunday the opening of an investigation. On Monday he promised the payment of compensation to the families of victims of 50 million rupees ($4390).

But several human rights groups have demanded an independent investigation and an explanation by the police for the use of tear gas in a confined space.

We Call on the authorities to conduct a prompt, thorough and independent investigation into the use of tear gas inside the stadium and to ensure that those who committed these offenses are tried in open court, Amnesty International said in a statement. release.

These losses of human life cannot go unanswered, added the non-governmental organization (NGO).

Fan violence is a long-standing problem in Indonesia.

Human Rights Watch has asked FIFA to conduct its own investigation and make it public.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino called the tragedy a tragedy beyond belief.

Minister Mahfud MD said members of the FIFA commission The survey will be chosen over the next 24 hours and will include members of government, analysts, football officials, media and academics, including .

Authorities will announce the results of the investigation as soon as possible, he said, estimating that the mission could be concluded within the next two to three weeks.

The Anger was mounting towards authorities on Monday, particularly online as new information emerged about the circumstances of the stampede.

Supporters died in arms players, Javier Roca, the Chilean coach of Indonesian club Arema, told Spanish radio Cadena Ser on Sunday, saying the police went too far.

Fan violence has been a long-standing problem in Indonesia, where club rivalries have often turned into deadly clashes.

For Saturday's game, Persebaya supporters Surabaya had not been allowed to purchase tickets for fear of incidents.

The President of the International Federation rnationale de football association (FIFA) Gianni Infantino, called the tragedy a tragedy beyond imagination.

Previous Article
Next Article