End of reign for Jean-Jacques Bourdin at BFMTV and RMC

0
119

End of reign for Jean-Jacques Bourdin at BFMTV and RMC

I subscribe for 1€ the 1st month

Abandoned from the air since the end of January, Jean-Jacques Bourdin will remain on the sidelines: Altice, the parent company of BFMTV and RMC, decided on Friday to part ways with its 73-year-old star journalist, who is facing sexual assault charges which he “firmly” contests.

The management of Altice Media “has decided to put an end to the employment contract of Mr. Jean-Jacques Bourdin and thus cease all collaboration”, she indicated in a press release, invoking the “events which have occurred and been brought” to her attention. acquaintance “during the year 2022”.

“We part ways, I'm so happy to be released, I'm leaving for new adventures (…) long live free and independent journalism! !”, reacted on Twitter the sniper of the PAF, known for his offensive interviews during his 21 years on the air of RMC, RMC Découverte and BFMTV.

Altice had launched an internal investigation in mid-January, after learning “through the press” that its star journalist was the subject of a complaint for “sexual assault”.

A judicial investigation had been opened in the process , making it difficult to maintain, in the middle of the presidential campaign, the maintenance of the political interviewer on the air.

Etrilé live

For the launch on January 18 of “France in the eyes”, a political program, the first guest, the candidate LR Valérie Pécresse, had crushed Jean-Jacques Bourdin live, denouncing “the law of silence” around violence against women .

About a month later, journalist Fanny Agostini, former weather presenter for BFMTV-RMC, who later worked for “Thalassa”, revealed to Mediapart that she was behind the complaint filed for attempted sexual assault.

In her complaint, she said that Mr. Bourdin had “grabbed her neck”, and had “tried to kiss her several times”, without “succeeding”, in the swimming pool of a hotel in Calvi (Haute-Corse) in October 2013.

She would have “struggled” and managed to get out of the pool. Jean-Jacques Bourdin would then have said: “I always get what I want”.

Then he would have sent her “for several months” insistent emails and text messages, according to the now elderly journalist 33, who says he was “constantly in fear” until his departure from the group in 2017.

In mid-February, a second woman had filed a complaint for sexual assault, harassment and sexual exhibition, for facts dating back to the end of the 1980s.

“not a surprise”

The investigation was closed without further action in April for prescription, the deadline in this matter being six years.

The journalist had denounced “the public instrumentalization of this procedure” and deplored the “serious attacks” on his personal and professional life.< /p>

Contacted by AFP, the management of Altice did not wish to comment on its decision on Friday, but internally, its departure is not “necessarily a surprise”.

“We felt that overall it was a bit, anyway, the end between BFM and Jean-Jacques Bourdin”, who had lost the presentation of the BFMTV-RMC morning show in 2020 in favor of Apolline de Malherbe, recalled to AFP a journalist from BFMTV, on condition of anonymity.

“He had made it clear that he would stop the political interview after the presidential election”, abounded a colleague from RMC, specifying not to have had no echo, “official or unofficial”, of the internal investigation and said to be “surprised by the tone of the press release” from the management.

Launched in 2001 on RMC, the morning face-to-face of 8:30 a.m. of “Bourdin”, mainly with political figures, had relaunched the career of the journalist at the dawn of his fifties. Betting on an offensive and anti-Parisian tone, the native of Bois-Colombes managed to raise the station's audiences.

Previously, for 25 years he had been one of the emblematic voices of RTL with his accent from the rocky south.

06/17/2022 19:22:06 – Paris (AFP) – © 2022 AFP