Ex-Air North employee killed in shooting involving RCMP in Whitehorse

Spread the love

Ex-Air North employee killed in shooting involving RCMP in Whitehorse

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) were called to the Air North hangars in Whitehorse on Thursday.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) confirmed on Monday morning that the victim of the shooting involving police officers last week in Whitehorse near the Air North hangars was an ex -employee of the air carrier.

The man, whose identity has not been disclosed at the request of the family, showed up on rue Condor, armed, around 12:30 p.m. Thursday, before engaging in a quarrel with his former colleagues. They then called 911.

The armed man presented himself, Thursday noon, at the Air North carrier cargo offices, according to the ongoing police investigation.

When the officers arrived, “they confronted the man,” said Chief Superintendent Scott Sheppard.

At approximately 12:50 p.m., an officer fired his service weapon. Two RCMP officers with specialized training in emergency care immediately administered first aid, the superintendent said, but the suspect was pronounced dead at Whitehorse General Hospital.

No one else was injured.

The case, considered criminal, is also the subject of a review of the actions of the officers involved by the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team. Alberta (ASIRT) as required by a service agreement between the territory and the external agency.

In a statement on Monday, ASIRT added that before shooting, the police asked the suspect to stop and lay down his weapon, but that the latter continued to walk towards the police. It was then that an officer opened fire. The man was hit and fell to the ground. A weapon was found at the scene.

Alberta's Serious Incident Response Team investigating the fatal shooting involving RCMP officers in Whitehorse released a photograph of the long gun found at the scene on Monday. /p>

According to Scott Sheppard, the suspect was an Alberta resident who had lived and worked at a few locations in the Yukon in the past. The long gun he had was not prohibited, he said.

“Regarding the events immediately leading up to this tragic incident, I must bear in mind the multiple ongoing investigations,” explains the police officer. This limits the information I am able to share with you at this time. »

Yukon RCMP Superintendent Scott Sheppard (right) holds a point of press on Monday about the fatal shooting involving his officers last Thursday in Whitehorse.

In addition to the Alberta services, another investigation is open with Transport Canada to understand how the man was able to enter the site. Finally, an autopsy in British Columbia was ordered by the Yukon Coroner's Office on November 30.

Previous Article
Next Article