Fire in Old Montreal: A fifth victim is extricated from the rubble | Fire in Old Montreal
The roof of the building collapsed during the fire , as well as the landings inside.
Members of the Montreal Fire Safety Service (SIM) Technical Rescue Group discovered the body of a fifth victim late Saturday afternoon, more than a week after the tragedy. . Two people are still missing.
The SIM Technical Rescue Group made the discovery while continuing their search inside the building based on sketches of the building and information gathered by the police, said officer Véronique Dubuc, of the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM).
The body was entrusted to the Laboratory of Forensic Sciences and Forensic Medicine to proceed with the identification of the deceased person.
Four bodies had already been found earlier this week. Two other people are still missing.
On Friday, the SPVM said it had “no information” to believe that the fire started. causes “additional victims” in addition to the five dead and two missing already recorded.
To date, only one victim has been formally identified by authorities. This is Camille Maheux, a 76-year-old woman, whose body was found at the end of last week. CBC/Radio-Canada has nevertheless identified several other victims of the fire, including Charlie Lacroix, a young woman aged just 18.
The flames started early on March 16 at the intersection of rue du Port and place d'Youville. The cause of the blaze has not yet been determined.
Numerous testimonies suggest that the building was not safe, but the investigation, led by the SPVM, is not yet complete. No charges have been brought against the owner of the premises.
Most units in the building are rented through the Airbnb platform, the fire has revived the whole debate on the supervision of short-term housing rentals in Quebec.
Pointed out for its inaction in this file, Legault's government has pledged to toughen its Tourist Accommodation Act by the end of the current parliamentary session.
Canadian leaders from x27;Airbnb were also warned in person on Thursday that Quebec will soon make them “accountable” during a meeting with Minister Caroline Proulx, from which they emerged without making the slightest comment.< /p>With information from La Presse canadienne