Group of hackers apologizes for attack on children's hospital

Spread the love

Hacker group apologizes for attack on children’s hospital

The proposed legislative changes include an obligation to disclose cybersecurity incidents to federal authorities.

LockBit, a global ransomware operator, issued an apology and offered to unlock encrypted data in a cyberattack on Toronto's SickKids Hospital.

Federal Policing American, the FBI, said that the group in question was one of the most active and destructive in the world.

Two weeks ago, SickKids was the target of ransomware. The attack affected several of its networks, including some phone lines, web pages and corporate systems, in addition to some internal clinics.

On December 31, Lockbit presented brief apology for the attack on an underground web blog.

In the statement, reviewed by The Canadian Press, LockBit claimed that the partner responsible for the cyberattack failed to comply the group's policy and that the group has been expelled.

As far as I know, this is the first time they've issued an apology and offered to hand out a free decryptor, said Brett Callow, threat analyst for anti-malware firm Emsisoft, which tracks ransomware attacks.

The pediatric hospital is aware of the decryptor's offer and says it is working to validate and evaluate it.

According to experts, LockBit is behind recent cyberattacks against Canadian municipalities, including the City of Westmount last November.

In October, a resident of Bradford, Ontario had been arrested for his alleged participation in the ransomware group.

SickKids reported on Sunday that it had restored more than 60% of the affected priority systems. The hospital maintains that it did not pay a ransom in connection with the attack.

The hospital believes that the personal information of its patients was not compromised.

With information from The Canadian Press

Previous Article
Next Article