Heather Stefanson says Ottawa needs to be flexible on carbon tax

Spread the love

Heather Stefanson believes that Ottawa must be flexible on the carbon tax

Heather Stefanson says Ottawa needs leeway on carbon pricing. (Archives)

Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson says she has no intention of passing legislation to counter the federal government in its areas of jurisdiction, as they do Alberta and Saskatchewan.

She says there has been no discussion in the province about such legislation regarding the carbon pricing.

The Prime Minister, however, has concerns about Ottawa's intervention in areas of provincial jurisdiction, but without giving specific examples.

Heather Stefanson clarified that the area where she would like to see change from the federal government is in carbon pricing.

This pricing adds a tax to gasoline, natural gas, and other fossil fuels. 90% of the money raised is paid out to taxpayers in the form of personal income tax refund cheques. The remaining 10% is invested to help businesses and communities reduce their carbon footprint.

Last year, a Federal Court judge ruled that; Ottawa had the right to impose a support price for carbon in Manitoba, when the province refused to impose provincial pricing that met federal requirements.

“We thought that by not appealing this decision, we would show goodwill and that we could discuss together.

— Heather Stefanson, Premier of Manitoba

Shortly after taking office, Heather Stefanson announced that Manitoba would not appeal the decision and that Instead, he would try to work in collaboration with the federal government. Nonetheless, Ottawa has shown no signs of abandoning its minimum fare requirements so far, according to the premier.

Last month, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau accused his Manitoba counterpart, and some other provincial premiers, of being dishonest about carbon pricing.

Justin Trudeau said that in Manitoba the average family receives more reimbursement than their expenses.

At the time, Heather Stefanson and some other provincial premiers called for a suspension of the carbon tax to help people fight inflation.

From her On the other hand, the office of the Minister of Environment and Climate Change, Steven Guilbeault, recalls that Manitoba did not submit an alternative solution to this model of safety net proposed by Ottawa, although& #x27;he had the opportunity this year.

If the Manitoba government wanted the system designed by him, he could have submitted his proposal, but we received nothing, says a written statement from Steven Guilbeault's office.

Pollution pricing is a national system that works best when there are level playing field with the same standards applied in each province, he adds.

Federal pricing, in place since 201 9, is set at $20 per tonne and is to increase to $170 per tonne by 2030.

With information from La Presse canadienne

Previous Article
Next Article