Highland Park shooting: suspect charged with seven murders

0
197

Highland Park Massacre: Suspect Charged With Seven Murders

If convicted, Robert Crimo could face life in prison without possibility of parole.

Bouquets of flowers and flags were scattered along the parade route in Highland Park where a shooting took place on July 4, 2022 .

The suspect in the shooting during the National Day celebrations in Highland Park was charged on Tuesday with seven murders, matching the number of his victims, the Lake County Attorney General announced in the north Chicago.

If convicted, Robert Crimo, 21, could face life in prison without the possibility of parole, Eric Rinehart said. Lake County prosecutor.

These are just the first of many charges that will be brought against Mr. Crimo, he said.

The attack was carried out with an automatic weapon similar to an AR-15 that had been purchased legally, Lake County Sheriff's Deputy Chief Chris Covelli said Tuesday. More than 70 bullets were fired by the killer who had been planning his attack for weeks, according to authorities.

Authorities have named six of the seven victims. They are Kevin McCarthy, 37, and Irina McCarthy, 35, who attended the parade with their now orphaned 2-year-old son. The other four victims are Katherine Goldstein, 64, Jacquelyn Sundheim, 63, Stephen Straus, 88, and Nicolas Toledo-Zaragoza, 78, a Mexican citizen who came to visit relatives.

The seventh victim has not yet been identified. The shooting also left approximately 35 people injured.

Along the parade route in Highland Park, flowers were laid in remembrance of the victims.

Dr David Baum, a doctor who took part in the rescue operations at the scene testified on CNN of the horror of the attack, referring to victims being blown up or eviscerated by the bullets.

The shooter, from the nearby town of Highwood, was identified through surveillance footage and tracing of the gun he had purchased legally, Covelli said.

According to the police officer, the young man had attempted suicide in April 2019 and had been followed by a doctor.

In September of the same year, officers had intervened at the family home after a warning report that he was going to kill everyone. The police then seized 16 knives, a dagger and a sword. He had not been arrested because no one had filed a complaint, the county sheriff pointed out.

Video posted eight months ago, now unavailable , shows a young man in a bedroom and classroom with posters of a gunman and people being shot at. I need to just do it, the comment says. This is my destiny. Everything led me to this. Nothing can stop me, not even myself.

With information from Agence France-Presse, and Associated Press

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here