April 13, 2019, 21:20 | Science and Technology
Scientific tricks you can try to learn how to fall asleep fast.
How to fall asleep in 5 minutes? But no, it is impossible – some skeptic will say. But scientists say that it is real. Attempts to induce sleep can perpetuate a cycle of anxious, nervous energy that keeps our minds from settling down. Scientific methods that you can try to learn how to fall asleep quickly in 5 minutes, i.e. to put your body into sleep mode, informs Ukr.Media.
A popular military method first reported by Sharon Ackerman, taken from a book called "Relax and Win: Championship Performance.
According to Ackerman, the US Navy pre-flight school developed a program that helps pilots fall asleep in 2 minutes or less. It took the pilots about six weeks of practice, but it worked—even after they drank coffee and heard gunshots in the background. Researchers claim that this practice even worked for those who needed to sleep sitting up!
Gist of the military method:
- Relax the entire face, including the mouth muscles.
- Drop your shoulders to release tension and lower your arms along your body.
- Exhale, relaxing your chest.
- Relax your legs, hips and calves.
- Clear your mind for 10 seconds, presenting some relaxing scene. It can be at least a meadow with flowers, at least a sunset by the sea.
- If it doesn't work, try saying the words "don't think" to yourself over and over for 10 seconds.
You must fall asleep within the next 10 seconds!
If that doesn't work for you, you may need to work on the basics of the military method: breathing and muscle relaxation – this method has scientific evidence that it works. The main thing is to completely relax the muscles. Before that, you can take a bath with Epsom salt, which is known for its relaxing properties. Also, concentrate on your breathing and try not to think about anything. Of course, this is the most difficult part, but whatever you do, scientists say it works.
The 4-7-8 Method
< p>Ideally, this quick fall asleep technique should help you fall into Morpheus' arms within a minute, but if you're new and have never tried this practice, it can take up to 5 minutes to fall asleep. Combining the powers of meditation and visualization, this 4-7-8 breathing method becomes more effective every day.
To prepare, place the tip of your tongue toward the sky, locking it behind your two front teeth. Keep your tongue there the whole time, lifting your lips a little if necessary.
The essence of the method is to repeat a complete cycle of 4-7-8 until you fall asleep:
- Open your lips and if you let out a whistling sound when you exhale through your mouth.
- Then close your lips and inhale quietly through your nose. Count to 4 to yourself.
- Then hold your breath for 7 seconds.
- Then exhale (whistle) for 8 seconds.
- At the end of each cycle you must clear their minds of all thoughts. Try practicing this method mindlessly, breathing in and out slowly and systematically.
Repeat the method for four full breaths.