Infanticides in Laval: father charged with first degree murder

Spread the love

Infanticides in Laval: father charged with first degree murder

Laval police were still at the scene of the tragedy on Tuesday morning.

Kamaljit Arora, 45, was formally charged with the premeditated murder of his two children and assault causing bodily harm to his wife, who suffered a major nervous shock.

Still hospitalized in stable condition, the man would not be able to communicate with a lawyer, said the criminal and penal prosecutor, Me Karine Dalphond. His appearance therefore had to be postponed until Wednesday or until he was fit to appear.

His absence from court did not however prevented the prosecution from filing charges against him because of the evidence provided by the police investigation, the prosecutor said. A lawyer speaking on behalf of the accused represented him in court when the charges were filed.

It is rare for a person to be criminally charged without first being able to speak to investigators and a lawyer. These are exceptional circumstances.

A large number of police were dispatched to the scene on Monday evening.

Arrested yesterday at the scene of the crime by Laval police, Kamaljit Arora had no criminal record.

According to information provided by the authorities, the father poisoned his children before drowning them, tied up. He then allegedly tried to kill himself, also with poison.

Interrupted by his wife, he tried to strangle her. She was later taken to hospital for treatment for nervous shock.

It is a third child, an 18-year-old young woman who was returning with her mother at the time of the tragedy, who went to see a neighbor to ask for help and call for help.

The tragedy occurred shortly before 6 p.m. Monday in a residence on rue Lauzon, in the Sainte-Dorothée district, in Laval. Upon arriving at the scene, emergency services discovered the bodies of an 11-year-old boy, Aaron Arora, and his 13-year-old sister, Anzel Arora. They were pronounced dead a little later at the hospital.

Beginning of the Twitter widget. Skip widget? End of Twitter widget. Back to top of widget?

The 13-year-old girl had been attending Saint-Martin school since the start of her secondary education, while the boy had been at Pierre-Laporte school since beginning of the school year, confirmed the Center de services scolaire de Laval to Radio-Canada.

In a letter to parents, the principal of Pierre-Laporte school, Simon Guilbault-Giroux, informed them that a team of professionals had been deployed to the school on Tuesday morning to support the children.

In the morning, the investigators were still on site. A section of Lauzon Street was still closed to traffic.

The Crown prosecutor did not want to disclose any information on the family background specific to this family.

According to neighbors, the family had just moved into the neighborhood. A discreet family, according to them.

Neighbours, still shaken Tuesday morning, said they saw family members come out into the street, screaming and crying.

I saw the police pull out a gun and administer first aid [to a man], but the guy wouldn't move, a neighbor said.

It's done behind closed doors, so you can't imagine. The only thing I thought to myself was “poor him”. He should have used available mental health resources, another neighbor said.

At Laval City Hall, Mayor Stéphane Boyer affirmed that the case comes to get us in our guts.

I think that by being in solidarity with the families of the victims, with the neighborhood, we will heal these wounds, we will overcome it, he added.

With information from Marie Isabelle Rochon and Pascal Robidas

People who need help should call 911 or contact the following organizations:

  • Let's Talk Suicide Canada 1-833-456-4566 (phone), text 4 p.m. to midnight ET: 45645
  • Suicide. ca
  • Youth Help Phone 1 800 668-6868
  • In Quebec: 1 866 CALLS (1 866 277-3553), text message: 1 855 957-5353
  • The Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention
Previous Article
Next Article