Lawsuit Against The Mail on Sunday |  Meghan Markle gets nearly $ 800,000 for legal costs

Lawsuit Against The Mail on Sunday | Meghan Markle gets nearly $ 800,000 for legal costs

Lawsuit Against The Mail on Sunday |  Meghan Markle gets nearly $ 800,000 for legal costs

(London) The editor of Mail on Sunday, a British tabloid which had published a letter from Meghan Markle to her father, was ordered Tuesday to pay 450,000 pounds (approximately $ 800,000) to the wife of Prince Harry for her legal costs after her recent legal victory.

Posted on March 2, 2021 at 1:38 p.m.

– Advertisement –

France Media Agency

The 39-year-old American actress won her legal action on February 11 against the mass-circulation newspaper, which she was suing for invasion of privacy after the publication of a letter to her father.

In this letter published in 2019, written the previous year a few months before her marriage to the grandson of Queen Elizabeth II, the former actress asked her father Thomas Markle to stop pouring out and lying in the media about their broken relationship.

In a videoconference hearing on Tuesday, Judge Mark Warby ordered the Associated Newspapers group to make an “interim payment” of £ 450,000 to cover its legal costs. The Duchess of Sussex’s lawyer, Ian Mill, was asking for 750,000.

Lawyers for the newspaper said they intended to appeal.

Lawyers for the former actress have asked for an apology to be published on the newspaper’s front page following the ruling last month.

The judge said he would order judicial publication, but warned it would be “more limited.”

He also refused at this point to ask the newspaper to hand over copies of the letter.

The magistrate also deferred until April or May the hearing on damages.

But according to the press group’s lawyer, Adrian Speck, this question should not be raised before the question of copyright is decided, because the question arises whether Jason Knauf, then director of communications of the Kensington Palace, is the co-author of the mail.

Since deciding a year ago to step down from their active role in the crown, Harry and Meghan have moved to the United States, citing pressure from the British media, against which they have launched several lawsuits.

They must speak in an interview given to the star of the confession Oprah Winfrey Sunday on American television.

Important Alert

Dear reader.
I hope you are in health and well.
I offer you important instructions regarding this article

    The article has been translated based on the content of the source link below these instructions
    If there is any problem related to the content, copyright, correctness of the information contained in this article, or If there are errors in the language, please leave a report below the article. or contact us via email [email protected]. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
    We only want readers to access information quickly and easily using other multilingual content, rather than information only available in a specific language.
    We always respect the copyright of the author’s content and always include the original link of the source article, and if the author does not agree, leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the author’s request. Thank you so much! Warm greetings!

Source link
https://www.lapresse.ca/arts/celebrites/2021-03-02/poursuite-contre-le-mail-on-sunday/meghan-markle-obtient-pres-de-800-000-pour-ses-frais-de-justice.php

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *