Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital: an external advisor called in as reinforcements
The head of unit targeted by a letter signed by a hundred nurses who threatened to resign if the person in question was not removed from office, will also be reassigned, the CIUSSS said.
Health Minister Christian Dubé met with the CEO of the CIUSSS de l'Est-de-l'Île-de -Montreal Monday evening and Tuesday morning due to the crisis at Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont.
The stunt carried out Monday evening by the nurses of the Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital, which forced the partial closure of the emergency room of this sensitive establishment in the east of Montreal last night , seems to have borne fruit.
After two meetings with the head of the CIUSSS de l'Est-de-l'Île-de-Montréal, to which the #x27;Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont, the Minister of Health of Quebec, Christian Dubé, announced on Tuesday that an external consultant would come to lend a hand to try to detect the problems of the establishment.
The CEO is really the one who will settle this. […] And to support him, as well as the employees, we agreed, and I think it's an excellent decision on his part, to bring someone from outside the situation to come and continue to work. try to find solutions, said Mr. Dubé, in a press briefing in front of the hospital.
The Minister specified that discussions with this external adviser would take place on Tuesday afternoon, in order to listen a little to the two parties to see how to bring them closer.
“Employees, it was not nice what they had to do to get their point [Monday] night. Me, I tell you, I have a lot of empathy. It's not for nothing that I have been here often this year. »
—Christian Dubé, Minister of Health of Quebec
The hospital's emergency room reopened at 8 a.m. Tuesday morning after a night of reduced operations where the facility did not accept new patients at the hospital. exception of serious cases and people already admitted at the time of closing. The evening shift nurses had refused a contingency plan proposed by management that would have forced them to work in small teams.
A serious labor shortage and the use of compulsory overtime create an untenable situation, according to Minister Dubé. Several people described the work climate as toxic, he pointed out.
The crisis at Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont, where nurses denounce in particular the compulsory overtime, caused the partial closure of the emergency room for one night. Interview with Luc Mathieu, president of the Order of Nurses of Quebec.
In a press briefing, a little earlier on Tuesday, the CEO of the CIUSSS, Jean-François Fortin- Verreault, also reported an extremely difficult situation, particularly with regard to the case of a head of unit who was recently the subject of a co-signed letter by a hundred nurses from the emergency department.
It is in this letter that the employees denounce a toxic work climate and actions that contribute to generating […] inhuman working conditions.
The signatories of the letter threatened to resign on Wednesday if nothing was done; Mr. Fortin-Verreault said Tuesday noon that the person targeted by this letter had been reassigned to another unit.
The person in question is not responsible for the fact that we receive more patients than the capacity [to do so]. The person deserves to be treated well, but for sure the relationship with the team is not there. We hope everyone finds it useful and can continue to work.
Jean-François Fortin-Verreault is CEO of the CIUSSS de l'Est-de-l'Île-de-Montréal, to which Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont is attached.
The CEO of the CIUSSS also announced that the number of ambulances sent to Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital will be reduced, to give the team some air. You have to start by having a little less volume, having a work-family balance… That's the first step, that's what the nurses told me [Monday], a- he explained, before mentioning having received a hundred suggestions to improve things in the emergency room.
We will continue the discussions to find the best courses of action, a he declared.
Mr. Fortin-Verreault also mentioned that the objective was to avoid a new closure of the emergency room at Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont on Tuesday evening. At the moment, we have the manpower to cover 60 stretcher patients; there are currently 62. We are working to make it work, and for it to be in balance.
At the end of the afternoon, the CIUSSS confirmed that the emergency room will remain open in the night from Tuesday to Wednesday.
Earlier, Denis Cloutier, the president of the Union of Care Professionals of the East-of-the-Island-of-Montreal, had expressed concern about the situation. That night's shift was still 12 out of 24, he said.
“There are 50 % of staff who are still absent this evening. These are not unforeseen absences, there, it is the state of the situation of the work forces at the emergency of Maisonneuve-Rosemont. »
— Denis Cloutier, President of the Syndicate of Care Professionals of the East-of-the-Island of Montreal
According to Denis Cloutier, the Maisonneuve-Rosemont emergency nurses are already doing more than their turn of the TSO [compulsory overtime, editor’s note]. It's not up to me to tell them to continue or stop. They will assess whether the hope is great enough for the moment, whether they want to hold on, while we implant something.
But beyond the measures that we can put in place in the medium term, I persist and sign to say that there are too many people missing in the Maisonneuve-Rosemont emergency room, it takes the rapid injection of healthcare professionals into that team, added Mr. Cloutier.
Despite the announcements, the Liberal Party of Quebec (PLQ) castigates the minister's lamentable failure. Health critic André Fortin also speaks of a leadership crisis.
The closure of the Maisonneuve-Rosemont emergency room had been foreseeable for months and is another demonstration of the CAQ's ineffectiveness. Yet Minister Dubé refused to hear the call for help from the nurses and to act before the crisis erupted. The result of all this incompetence is, according to the nurses themselves, endangering the lives of patients, he also said, in a press release.
Same story from Québec solidaire health spokesperson Vincent Marissal, who also represents voters in the riding where the hospital is located. Mr. Dubé is an accountant, he is a manager. He always has accounting and manager solutions, he lamented.
There he comes in saying: we will appoint someone else. I hope it works. But again, if we don't solve the real problem of underemployment here, of attractiveness and retention of staff. […] Me, I ask about service breakdowns and sit-ins, it's been three years.
“Maisonneuve-Rosemont, in the health network, is a volcano in action just waiting for its next eruption, and it will happen. And if Mr. Dubé hasn't seen the smoke signals before today, there's a damn problem. »
— Vincent Marissal, Québec solidaire health spokesperson
This is the biggest emergency in Quebec. I think the Minister of Health has a role to play here, added Mr. Marissal, who says he is completing a tour of several hospitals in the province where things are not going well.
Earlier Tuesday, on the sidelines of an event held in the borough of Ahuntsic-Cartierville, the mayor of Montreal, Valérie Plante, for her part, said she was extremely concerned about the situation in hospitals, but especially at Hôpital Maisonneuve-Rosemont, a nerve center in eastern Montreal.
With information from Sébastien Bovet< /em>