Man escapes from Metro Vancouver jail


A man&rsquo ;Escape from a prison in Greater Vancouver

This is not the first escape from the North Fraser Detention Center in Port Coquitlam. There were two in 2007 and 2008.

Rabih Alkhalil escaped Thursday while being held in a prison in Port Coquitlam, in British Columbia, awaiting trial for first degree murder.

The fugitive is considered dangerous and should not be approached, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) of Coquitlam. He was due to face jury justice in Vancouver in connection with an organized crime-related homicide case.

Rabih Robby Alkhalil, 35, is believed to have been discharged from the North Fraser, located a 30-minute drive from Vancouver Thursday evening at 6:48 p.m. He was reportedly seen leaving the center in a white Econoline van with two accomplices posing as construction workers. The vehicle was traveling westbound on Kingsway Avenue.

Coquitlam RCMP say staff at the center reported his escape around 7:30 p.m. They are asking for the public's help in locating him.

Coquitlam RCMP are looking for Rabih Alkhalil, 35, who was last seen wearing a black suit and reflective jacket .

When Rabih Alkhalil was last seen, he was wearing a black coat and a reflective jacket. He has brown hair and eyes. Standing 1.78m (5ft 10) tall, he weighs 75kg (166lbs).

The fugitive was spotted leaving the center in this white van.

Rabih Alkhalil was in the detention center awaiting trial for the murder of Sandip Duhre in January 2012 in Vancouver.

This detention center has already experienced several escapes.

Two detainees have already left through the main door of the center pretending to be different people.

In the first case, in 2007, a prison guard helped inmate Omid Tahvili by letting him dress up as a janitor and walk him through the four security gates. The guard, Ediwn Ticne, had been promised $50,000 in exchange for his cooperation. The fugitive was never found.

In the second case, in August 2008, inmate Dean Sykes posed as another prisoner who was due for release that day- the. He was able to come to court and get out. It was only a few days later that he was captured, 130 kilometers away, in Hope.

With information from The Canadian Press


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here