Ottawa awards $10 million to self-employed performing arts workers | Coronavirus

Spread the love

Ottawa awards $10M to self-employed performing arts workers | Coronavirus

The Canadian government is granting the last tranche of funding intended to help self-employed workers in the cultural sector recover from the difficulties caused by COVID-19. In the photo: artists from the cast of Don Giovanni, accompanied by the Chorus of the Opéra de Québec. (archives).

The Minister of Canadian Heritage, Pablo Rodriguez, announced Friday, in Montreal, $10 million in assistance to fund some sixty projects intended to help self-employed workers in the arts. the scene to recover from the difficulties caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

This $10 million in assistance comes from a $60 million envelope from the Canada's Live Entertainment Worker Resilience Fund. The remaining 50 million had been granted last May and the Fund itself had been created in February.

The cultural community has suffered from the effects of the coronavirus pandemic, recalled Minister Rodriguez. For example, the gross domestic product (GDP) of the performing arts sector is only 60% of the level it was in the fourth quarter of 2019.

For the 2021-2022 fiscal year, the federal government has injected more than $181 million to alleviate the repercussions suffered by workers in the arts and live events sector, due to the pandemic.

The $10 million announced Friday will go to freelancers who participate in projects within organizations such as the Professional Society of Authors and Composers of Quebec, the Vancouver Asian Canadian Theater, the Canadian Institute of Scenographic Technologies , the Nunavut Performing Arts Centre, etc.

The fifth of this sum will go specifically to artists from Quebec, said Mr. Rodriguez, who is the Member of Parliament for the riding d'Honoré-Mercier.

In addition, the press conference held at the Lion d'or by the Minister of Heritage was interrupted from the start by a man who arrested the federal elected official, without identifying himself.

In English and French, the man demanded a reaction from the minister on the conflict in Ukraine, the prospect of a nuclear attack he is raising and the intentions of the Canadian government in this file. .

Minister of Canadian Heritage Pablo Rodriguez.

The minister did not respond to the man who was escorted without outpouring from the room by his press secretary.

Questioned later on the security issues surrounding elected officials, especially since Deputy Premier Chrystia Freeland had been insulted in Alberta, Pablo Rodriguez admitted that this was a very important point.

Mr. Rodriguez said he didn't feel threatened by the man who tried to disrupt his press conference.

As for the proposal that a security guard accompany each of the federal cabinet ministers, Rodriguez says he's not sure he wants someone at his side who would create a barrier. I love the world, he said.

The question nevertheless arises, he acknowledged: it's a balance that we seek.

Minister Rodriguez continued by talking about a bill that will aim to counter online misinformation and hate…which is real hate, too, he added.

Present in the social media, this hatred is reflected on the ground, explained the minister, who intends to claim from the giants of the web that they collaborate with Ottawa.

And this, so that the environment in which we evolve on the Internet is safer, he insisted, especially for children and adolescents who can suffer serious harm to because of what is conveyed online.

Previous Article
Next Article