Radio-Canada revelations on the Pierre-Laporte bridge: an “investigation” launched

0
194

Revelations by Radio-Canada on the Pierre-Laporte Bridge: an “investigation”triggered

The replacement of the suspension lines of the Pierre-Laporte bridge will be accelerated, according to the Minister of Transport, François Bonnardel.< /p>

The Ministère des Transports du Québec (MTQ) commissioned the external firm Arup to evaluate its internal communications, a few weeks after the existence of an alarming report on the Pierre-Laporte bridge had been leaked to the media even before Minister François Bonnardel became aware of it.

Remember that Radio-Canada revealed in June the existence of an MTQ report concluding that all the lines of the infrastructure should be replaced as soon as possible.

The Minister of Transport, François Bonnardel, then claimed to have learned of the existence of this technical report in the media.

The Minister of Transport, François Bonnardel

The Professional Association Quebec government engineers believe that this contract awarded to Arup by the MTQ constitutes a disguised maneuver to try to find out who revealed the information on the report to Radio-Canada.

“We were out, it's been a few months already with sworn documents, in May, for the addition of essential services where we clearly identify that there is urgent work to be done on the Pierre Bridge -Laporte,” says Andy Guyaz, Association Secretary-Treasurer.

“Does Mr. Bonnardel live in a parallel reality? Or does it have selective memory? »

— Andy Guyaz, secretary-treasurer of the Professional Association of Engineers of the Government of Quebec

On the side of the MTQ, we assure in writing that we do not want to go on a witch hunt in the wake of the media coverage of a technical report on the condition of the Pierre-Laporte bridge.

The review mandate is not intended to find out who leaked the bridge inspection document to journalists, but rather to assess the decision-making and operational process, the relations and internal coordination mechanisms of the Ministry, as well as all the other elements resulting from the analysis of the facts, explains the spokesperson for the MTQ, Nicolas Vigneault, in an email.

A mutual agreement contract was given in recent days to the firm Pomerleau engineering team to urgently consolidate 28 suspension lines on the bridge. Another contract was also awarded in June to Stellaire Construction, which will have the mandate to replace some twenty lines over the next three years, including some this year.

The steel wires of each hanger are surface galvanized, but as seen here, rust makes its way. This photo was taken near an anchor base located under the Pierre-Laporte bridge.

In addition, Quebec government engineers, who had called an indefinite general strike in June, accepted 90% of the agreement in principle reached a few days ago with the Treasury Board Secretariat.

A total of 1,610 union members out of 1,783 members of the Professional Association of Engineers of the Government of Quebec exercised their right to vote on Tuesday, which represents a participation rate of 90 .3%.

The central element of the agreement is based on the creation of a new class of engineers (senior grade), which results in a salary increase. The working week is also increased to 37.5 hours and includes greater flexibility in schedules.

The Professional Association of Government Engineers of Quebec (APIGQ) had called 3 strikes since April 2022.

The union says engineers can now perform their jobs with more professional autonomy. Association representatives believe that the agreement will ensure better retention of government engineers.

With the collaboration of Félix Duchesne

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here