Five people and several animals were saved from the flames that tore through this Ottawa home overnight from Friday to Saturday.
Several people have suffered from smoke inhalation sickness and frostbite following three fires that occurred Friday night into Saturday in Ottawa. Firefighters were forced to battle the flames by freezing temperatures in Ottawa.
Temperatures dipped to -31°C early Saturday.
< p class="e-p">Emergency services were called to an apartment building at 400 Daly Avenue just after 2:00 a.m., and quickly saw the flames reach the floor. #x27;fire escape, the Ottawa Fire Department said in a statement.
Firefighters checked the building to make sure everyone was out safely. Most residents took refuge on an OC Transpo bus until the fire was put out an hour later.
A woman in her 20s suffered burns and was taken to hospital in a stable condition, while a teenager suffered frostbite after leaving her apartment barefoot and snuggling up. to a nearby friend's house, paramedics told CBC.
Firefighters weren't out of the woods, however. At approximately 3:15 a.m., Algonquin College Security reported that fire alarms had gone off and smoke was filling one of the college's residence buildings. p>
Once there, firefighters noticed thick smoke billowing from the first floor. The students were evacuated and transported to a nearby building. The fire was extinguished shortly after 4 a.m.
Crews were then called at approximately 5:15 a.m. to 40 Kittiwake Drive where a garage was engulfed in flames . The fire quickly spread to a car in the driveway and the adjoining house, according to Nicholas DeFazio, spokesman for the Ottawa Fire Department.
Four adults fled the blaze into the backyard and had to be rescued by firefighters, he told CBC. One of them suffered from frostbite and another from minor burns.
A fifth person fled through it. front of the house. Paramedics said four of the five people were treated after inhaling smoke.
A frog, a lizard, a gecko and a bird were also rescued.
The Ottawa Fire Services said in a news release that the fire was declared under control at 10:19 a.m. The intervention prevented the spread of the fire to other houses in the neighborhood.
Second-hand smoke was however found inside one of the two neighboring houses, but carbon monoxide levels remained low.
With information from CBC News
More details to come…