Somalia: At least 100 dead in double car bombing in Mogadishu
The attack took place at the same busy intersection where a truck had exploded on October 14, 2017, killing 512 people and injuring more than 290.
At least one hundred people, including children, were killed in a double car bomb attack on a busy street in the city of Mogadishu, Somalia, on Saturday, President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud said.
One hundred people were killed and 300 were injured, he said on Sunday, after visiting the site of the attack. The previous death toll was 9.
The president said the number of dead and injured continued to rise.
Two cars filled with explosives detonated within minutes of each other in the afternoon near the bustling intersection of Zobe. Gunfire followed in an attack targeting the Somali Ministry of Education.
The explosions shattered windows of nearby buildings, sending shrapnel and plumes of smoke and dust into the air.
The attack took place at the same busy intersection where a truck exploded on October 14, 2017, killing 512 people and injuring more than 290.
It is in the same place and it is the same innocent people who are being hit, Mr. Mohamud lamented. It's not fair. God willing, they will no longer have the capacity to carry out a new [attack, like that of Zobe], he castigated, in reference to the jihadists of the Shebab group.
This type of attack – which was not immediately claimed – is generally attributed by the Somali authorities to Al-Shabaab jihadist militants who regularly carry out attacks in the capital and major cities of Somalia.
The Islamist group, linked to Al-Qaeda, has been fighting the federal government supported by the international community since 2007. It was driven out of major cities – including Mogadishu in 2011 – but remains firmly entrenched in large rural areas, notably in the south of the country.
Ruthless terrorists have killed mothers. Some of them died with their children trapped on their backs, Somali police spokesman Sadik Dudishe had earlier said.
He added during a press briefing that the attackers had targeted students and other civilians.
According to a witness, Abdirahman Ise, there were many people on the road along the ministry at the time of the first explosion.
I saw a lot of smoke around the ministry and a lot of damage, reported another witness , Amino Salad.
Security officer Ahmed Ali, among the first to arrive on Saturday, said he saw the bodies of nine people, mostly civilians including women and children.
The Shebab claimed responsibility for the attack last week on a hotel in the port city of Kismayo that left nine people dead and 47 injured.
In recent months, the Shebab have redoubled their attacks. #x27;activities in Somalia, a poor and unstable country in the Horn of Africa, with in particular a spectacular attack, lasting around 30 hours, at the end of August on a hotel in Mogadishu.
After this attack which left at least 21 dead and 117 injured, President Hassan Cheikh Mohamoud promised an all-out war to eliminate the Shebab and called on the population to stay away from areas controlled by the Islamists who were going to be targeted by forthcoming offensives.
The security forces and local clan militias have notably launched military operations in the center of the country, which, according to the authorities, have made it possible to regain ground from the Islamist fighters.
In addition to the Al-Shabaab insurgency, Somalia is also threatened by impending famine, caused by the worst drought in more than 40 years.
Across the country, 7.8 million people, or almost half of the population, are affected by drought, of which 213,000 are in serious danger of starvation, according to the report. UN. Without urgent mobilization, a state of famine could be declared before the end of the year.