Specialists of the Odessa region is not ready for a 7-point earthquakes
This electronic seismograph recorded the data on the computer. Photo: Oleg Shaparenko
Seismologists fear that the region is not prepared for such a cataclysm.
Earthquake in Romania, the echoes of which are felt at the weekend, the residents of Odessa region, became powerful over the last five years. Sunday early morning, they woke up to strong shaking. Clearest tremors were felt in Izmail, Bolgrad, Kiliya and Reni districts, and in Odessa by the earthquake in some places even cracked walls, poured plaster and stucco were falling from the old buildings. Seismologists explain: the epicenter of the tremors was a Romanian County of Vrancea, where the magnitude reached 5.4 on the Richter scale. In our area the intensity of the earthquake was about 4 points. Experts believe that these indicators – not a limit, because the activity in this area is increasing.
– Vrancea zone – potentially dangerous – says the engineer of the first category of the Institute of Geophysics of NAS of Ukraine Vyacheslav Egupov. – There once were mountains, then there was the rift, and the movement is due to the fact that the earth in this place actively “breathes”.
Geophysicists warn that the phenomenon could be repeated.
Geophysicists warn that the phenomenon could be repeated. In the worst case the oscillation amplitude in the settlements near Chisinau will reach eight, and in Odessa seven points. It is not known exactly when this starts going region, experts suggest that this will happen within the next two years. While scientists are sure that in the peak earthquake city by the sea is inevitable destruction.
– It would threaten not only the emergency building and the new building, – the Vice-President of the Ukrainian Association of earthquake engineering Konstantin Egupov. – Because many of them were built in haste, without taking into account the probable seismic vibrations.
Existing structures should be strengthened and new build, based on the requirements, he said. In the worst case, the earthquake will not be the collapse of houses, and the fact that the city simply can paralyze: if a hospital collapses, the victims will have nowhere to take, and fire trucks can’t get to the site.
– The region is not ready for such an emergency, – concludes the expert. – Despite the fact that scientists in 2002 started to make a plan of response and liquidation of consequences of aftershocks, it is very slow.
When I was shaking the city
The theme of earthquakes are familiar to our city, which often in its history been faced with this scourge. We decided to recall the 5 most powerful and prominent example for all time of existence of Odessa.
1. In the first place was the earthquake that occurred on 26 October 1802. It was associated with seismic activity in the Vrancea zone and had an amplitude of 7.5 points. Then was destroyed the fragile temporary shelters and killed several people. The disaster had an impact on the future layout of the city after the incident, the city planners decided to expand the narrow streets.
2. The second power was the earthquake in November 1829. Then the residents were scared of a strong buzz, and three of the quake, the strongest was the second – in 6 points. As a result, the houses were cracked, and the churches even got icons.
3. Intense were the tremors that Odessa felt 23 Jan 1838. Their capacity amounted to 6 points, and the shakes lasted about two minutes. Some houses were destroyed. Cracks also formed in the arches and some stone bridges, and from the belfry of the Greek Church, even a cross fell down. The most strongly felt earthquake ships anchored in the Harbor of Odessa.
4. 100 years later the city again, much of a coward. It happened November 10, 1940, when the power of the earthquake was 7 points, and it lasted almost 3 minutes. In the apartments of falling objects, and the Observatory stopped all the clocks. People in panic ran out into the street, parts of houses collapsed cornices, walls and balconies, and the cars on the railroad were moving randomly.
5. Another strong earthquake occurred in Odessa on March 4, 1977. The result of the tremors, the average power in the city was 6 points, in many homes there is a new crack.
By the WAY
About 120 thousand square kilometers, or about 20 percent of Ukraine’s territory are earthquake-prone zones, with intensity of 6 to 9 points. There is a population of about 10, 9 million or 20.5% of the population. Seismic zones are located in the Crimea (6-9. b.), Transcarpathian region (7 b.), Chernihiv (6-7. b.). Vinnytsia (6 b.), Kirovohrad (6 b.), Lviv (6 b.), Odessa (6-9. b.), Ternopil (6 b.) and Khmelnytskyi (6 b.) areas.
Not to miss all the most important and interesting, follow us on social networks