The key that could save Prince Andrew from sitting on the bench over the Epstein case

The key that could save Prince Andrew from sitting on the bench over the Epstein case

The key that could save Prince Andrew from sitting on the bench over the Epstein case

Prince Andrew, son of Elizabeth II.
EFE

The Superior Court of London has accepted the petition of the defense of Virgina Giuffre, the woman who has sued the Duke of York for sexual assault, to formally notify Prince Andrew of the civil procedure initiated in the United States, after having rejected it at first on a technicality.

The first pre-trial hearing was held this Monday in New York, and the notification in question was of significant importance. The prince’s lawyer said his legal team had “significant concerns” about the lawsuit., in addition to indicating that the duke has not been officially notified about the civil case.

Something that the plaintiff’s representative, David Boies, countered by ensuring that the claim had been “delivered to the defendant’s last known address”, and added that the documents had also been sent by the Post Office. However, Giuffre’s legal team had already made an attempt to have the Duke served in another way, specifically through the High Court in London.

In this sense, under the Hague Convention on Notifications – a treaty that regulates requests for evidence between countries in civil or commercial matters – Giuffre’s legal team had asked the court to formally notify Queen Elizabeth’s second son II on civil action.

However, the court dismissed the request at first. He has finally accepted it since the attorneys for the prosecution “have provided more information.”

An agreement

Also, Prince Andrew’s lawyer has called “unfounded” and “potentially illegal” the lawsuit for alleged sexual abuse.

At a pretrial hearing, Brettler has said that an agreement between the plaintiff and Epstein in 2009 released the prince from “all responsibility”, informs BBC.

There has been a settlement agreement that the plaintiff has entered into in a prior action that releases the Duke and others from any potential liability. “, has specifically indicated, to request a copy of the agreement, that it is sealed.

Likewise, the lawyer has denied that his client had been correctly notified of the proceedings and has argued that it is up to the High Court of London to determine whether the documents had been properly received by the prince.

Specifically, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II received a summons from the lawsuit at the Royal Lodge, in Windsor, on the morning of August 27, according to a witness statement presented in federal court in Manhattan, to which the The defense has responded by challenging the legality of the notification.

For his part, attorney David Boies, Giuffre’s representative, has stated that the claim had been “delivered to the defendant’s last known address”, and that the documents had also been sent “by ‘Royal Mail’”. “We believe that we have complied with the notification requirement and we presented the proof of notification last Friday,” he said.

Virginia Giuffre claims that she was a victim of human trafficking by Jeffrey Epstein, an old friend of Andrés, to have sex with the duke, when she was 17 years old and a minor under US law.

Giuffre has taken refuge in the New York Child Victims Law while Andrew of England has consistently denied these claims.

In 2019, he announced that he was abandoning his public activities due to the scandal in which he has been involved by his relationship with the American tycoon.

Epstein was arrested in July 2019 on charges of sexual abuse and trafficking of dozens of girls in the early 2000s. This millionaire, who at some point even rubbed shoulders with personalities such as Bill Clinton or Donald Trump, was discovered hanged in his New York prison cell in August 2019.

www.informacion.es

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *