The Portapique killer's friend got rid of all his weapons after the massacre

Spread the love

The friend of the Portapique killer got rid of all his weapons after the massacre

U.S. Border Patrol agents in boats patrol the border at Orient, Maine.

The American who supplied some of the weapons used in the killings of x27;April 2020 in Nova Scotia says he couldn't bring himself to testify before the Commission, but told investigators he got rid of all his weapons.

>

Sean Conlogue, a retired car salesman in Maine, was a close friend of the killer. The two men were part of a video chat on the evening of April 18, 2020, just before the massacre began in Portapique, Nova Scotia.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police Canada (RCMP) and the Mass Casualty Commission continued to investigate reports from Maine, where some of the killer's weapons were purchased and from where they were later smuggled into Canada.

This summer, RCMP officers traveled to the United States to recover evidence held by the FBI.

This included the empty holsters for two Glock handguns, the x27;one of five weapons found with the killer when the RCMP killed him, in Enfield, on April 19, 2020.

Here are the guns the shooter had in his possession when he was killed at a gas station in Enfield, Nova Scotia. There are three handguns and two rifles. Three of these guns came from Maine.

In August, Mass Casualty Commission investigators released a report on their efforts to persuade Sean Conlogue to testify at the public hearings. This report was part of a huge trove of documents the Commission released last week.

The authors talk about a phone conversation they had with Sean Conlogue in which he told them he had nothing new to communicate.

He also said he was troubled by the events of April 2020 and had received mental health support.

Sean Conlogue added that he got rid of his own firearms, but did not say how or when.

He broke down in tears as he told investigators he could not bring himself to testify.

Unlike other potential witnesses, he could not be forced to testify, because he is an American citizen.

The shooter frequently stayed at the home of his friend Sean Conlogue in Houlton, Maine. He received packages, including parts for the replica patrol car he had built, and brought them back across the border.

Investigators focused on Sean Conlogue early in their investigation.

Officers from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives spoke to him multiple times in May 2020. Conlogue told them that he had bought the killer a handgun in gift for the work he had done around his home in Maine.

When asked how the killer got the gun back to Canada, he said : Oh, I never thought of that!

Sean Conlogue also told investigators that the killer stole two handguns from him and that he was only realized after finding the empty boxes.

In May 2020, Sean Conlogue made it clear that he was haunted by the murders.

I went through, you know, years trying to remember this happened, he said in a phone interview.

I mean, it shook and upset me more than I know what, but it happened and I'll have to live with it.

The victims of the Portapique massacre. Front row: Gina Goulet, Dawn Gulenchyn, Jolene Oliver, Frank Gulenchyn, Sean McLeod, Alanna Jenkins. Second row: John Zahl, Lisa McCully, Joey Webber, Heidi Stevenson, Heather O'Brien and Jamie Blair. Third row: Kristen Beaton, Lillian Campbell, Joanne Thomas, Peter Bond, Tom Bagley and Greg Blair. Fourth row: Emily Tuck, Joy Bond, Corrie Ellison and Aaron Tuck.

The Commission also attempted to locate Angel Patterson, who was also part of the video call just before the start of the massacre, but she was unsuccessful.

RCMP Superintendent Darren Campbell told the Commission that he was not satisfied with the firearms investigation.

I am not satisfied that we have been able to conclude, in relation to the expectations of the survivors and the families of the victims and personally, as an investigator, what I would like to accomplish, to find out who provided him with these firearms, he said.

A CBC News investigation, earlier revealed that this year that Americans who helped Gabriel Wortman obtain guns may have broken US law, but no one has been charged.

With the information by Blair Rhodes, by CBC News

Previous Article
Next Article