There is something wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

Spread the love

Share

  • Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand nature space

    send to Telegram

  • Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

    share on Facebook

  • < p>Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

    tweet

  • Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

    send to Viber

  • Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

    send to Whatsapp

  • < p>Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

    send to Messenger

Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

The most accurate measurements of the composition of the universe ever made and how fast it's expanding suggest that “something is wrong” with our understanding of the cosmos.

Related video

A new study confirms that there are big differences between the two different ways of estimating the rate of expansion of our universe, writes France24.

U Focus. Technology has its own Telegram channel. Subscribe to not miss the latest and exciting news from the world of science!

American astrophysicists have found that only 5% of our Universe is ordinary matter, and the remaining 95% is mysterious dark matter and no less mysterious dark energy, which provokes the expansion of the Universe. In particular, scientists believe that the driving force behind the expansion of the universe, which causes it to expand at an ever-increasing rate, is 66.2% of the entire cosmos. And the remaining 33.8% is a combination of ordinary and dark matter. The latter is supposed to be composed of particles yet to be discovered.

To get these most accurate results of what our universe is really made of, scientists have made observations of supernovae. Stars become supernovae at the end of their lives, when they disappear in a very powerful explosion.

Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

During the study, scientists analyzed data obtained from the study of more than 1.5 thousand supernovae, that exploded both relatively close to the solar system and those that are more than 10 billion light-years away from us. That is, they exploded when the universe existed for only a few billion years.

According to Nobel laureate Adam Riess, the new study is the culmination of more than 20 years of studying the nature of the universe. It was Riess and his colleagues who, back in the late 90s of the last century, found out that the Universe is expanding and doing so at an ever increasing speed.

“The expansion of the universe can be compared to the fact that you throw a ball up and instead of falling, it continues to fly up and at the same time picks up more and more speed,” says Dillon Braut from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

Supernova observations have led scientists to conclude that the universe is currently expanding at a rate 73.4 km/s per megaparsec (this is 3.26 million light years), or 255 thousand km/h. Scientists consider this the most accurate measurement of the expansion rate of the universe.

But if you measure the CMB that originated in the first few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang, it turns out that the universe is expanding more slowly: at a speed of about 67 km/s per megaparsec. This discrepancy in measuring the rate of expansion of the universe, scientists called the Hubble problem.

But new data indicate that this cannot be just a statistical accident.

“Our results show that there is definitely something wrong with our understanding of the universe. We thought that our dataset might hold the key to a new solution to this problem, but instead we saw that our data rules out many of these options and that deep discrepancies remain the same as before,” says Braut.

According to scientists, there are still many unknowns that are worth discovering in order to solve the Hubble problem. Although some scientists suggest that such a discrepancy in the calculations suggests that a completely different physics existed in the early Universe, perhaps even a different kind of dark energy.

Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

Something is wrong with the universe. Scientists have found out that we misunderstand the nature of the cosmos

“Initially, the universe was dominated by dark matter, which may have held back its expansion, but then dark energy filled the cosmos. In any case, we got a more accurate idea of ​​the evolution of the universe” , — says Braut.

As Focus already wrote, an American recently graduated from high school with the help of Minecraft was able to create almost the entire universe known to us.

Focus has already written about a recent study that says th o The Universe will soon stop expanding and, on the contrary, the process of its contraction will take place.