Three men charged with drug trafficking after 1.5 tonnes of cocaine seized

Spread the love

Three men charged with drug trafficking after 1.5 tonnes of cocaine seized

CBSA and RCMP seized over 1.5 tons of cocaine at the port of Saint-Jean in N.- B., an estimated value of $198 million.

Last January, 1.5 tons of cocaine were seized in the port of Saint John in New Brunswick. A year later, charges were laid against residents of Ontario.

The joint investigation resulted in the arrests this week of three people in Brantfort and New Hamburg. They have all been charged with illicitly importing cocaine.

Vincenzo Caportorto, 47, and Adam Kaup, 42, are also charged with conspiracy to import cocaine. They are scheduled to appear in court in Brantford on January 19 and 20, respectively.

Kyle Alexander Purvis, 35, is charged with possession for the purpose of trafficking. No date has been given for his appearance in court.

The investigation that led to his arrests was carried out jointly by the Transnational Organized Crime Task Force and RCMP Federal Policing, Kitchener RCMP Detachments, Brantford Police Service and Canada Border Services Agency.

Cocaine seized in the port of Saint-Jean in January 2022 had a resale value on the illicit market of $198 million. At the time, the RCMP said it was the largest amount of cocaine seized from a shipping container in Atlantic Canada in three decades.

More than 1.5 tonnes of cocaine was seized, valued at $198 million.

The drug , which originated in Central America, had been concealed in a shipping container.

The sheer volume and value of this seizure also represents a significant financial setback for gangs and organized crime who are victimizing Canadians by trafficking these harmful narcotics, said Inspector De Simone, Officer in Charge of the London and Kitchener Detachment in a statement released this week.

Previous Article
Next Article