The operation took place early Thursday morning at Motel Pierre, in the borough of Saint-Laurent.
Geneviève Garon talks with Stéphane Wall, retired police officer and analyst specializing in the judicious use of force.
The man who would be involved in the three murders committed since Tuesday in Montreal and Laval was shot by the authorities. He was known to police because of his mental health issues, according to the Sûreté du Québec (SQ).
The suspect, Abdulla Shaikh, was shot dead during a search conducted by the tactical intervention group of the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM) Thursday morning, around 7 a.m. The operation took place at the motel Pierre, located on boulevard Marcel-Laurin, in the borough of Saint-Laurent.
The police wanted to arrest the alleged murderer alive, but according to our information, Abdulla Shaikh left his hotel room armed with a light semi-automatic weapon – possibly a TEC-9 model – and opened fire on sight of the intervention group, which would have had no choice but to replicate.
He was pronounced dead at the scene, said the Bureau of Independent Investigations (BEI) in its account of the events.
The authorities had located the x27; man several hours before intervening. His vehicle, a white Dodge Challenger, had been identified by the police in the parking lot of the motel.View larger
The police operation took place early Thursday morning. It resulted in the death of the suspect.
The suspect, who was 26 years old, was not linked to organized crime and acted alone during the last 36 hours, according to the SQ.
Abdullah Shaikh was known to the police because of his psychiatric problems. In 2018, he was found not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder in a Montreal mischief case. He was also awaiting trial in Laval for sexual assault and assault in a 2016 case.
Asked about the suspect's background, SQ spokeswoman Audrey-Anne Bilodeau, however, said it was still too early to conclude that Abdulla Shaikh's mental disorders could have played a role in the events. which led to the death of three unfortunate victims earlier this week.
On Wednesday evening, Alex Crevier, a young man aged just 20, was killed as he was killed. he was riding a skateboard on boulevard Clermont, in the Laval-des-Rapides sector. Officers from the Service de police de Laval (SPL) pronounced him dead upon arriving at the scene.
The previous night, two men, aged 64 and 48 respectively, had also been killed about an hour apart in Saint-Laurent and the neighboring borough of Ahuntsic-Cartierville, Montreal. One of the two victims, André Fernand Lemieux, was the father of Quebec boxer David Lemieux.
The same modus operandi, a bullet fired at the head, was observed in the three victims, who were all said to have been chosen at random.
Start of the widget. Skip the widget?End of widget. Back to top of widget?
The investigation into the three murders has been handed over to the SQ, while the BEI will handle Thursday morning's police intervention, which resulted in the death of the suspect.
Start of the Twitter widget. Skip widget? End of Twitter widget. Back to the beginning of the widget?
The SPVM will collaborate in this investigation, indicated its director, Sophie Roy, during a press briefing held Thursday morning. However, she declined to give more information so as not to harm the investigation.
Since Tuesday, all the investigative units of the gendarmerie and SPVM intelligence have been working day and night on a major investigation to elucidate these murders, she said. This is what allowed us to have a quick resolution to the situation.
The investigation is not over yet: the The killer's motives and how he obtained a semi-automatic weapon remain unanswered at this time.
Start of Twitter widget. Skip widget? End of Twitter widget. Back to top of widget?
In a press scrum on Thursday, Public Security Minister Geneviève Guilbault said she would meet with the heads of the SPVM, SQ and SPL on Friday to take stock of the progress of the strategies. put in place with them at the beginning of the summer.
Since last year, we are at nearly 200 million investments in police repression and in prevention too, so if we have to do something else, we will do it, because the safety of our citizens and the feeling of safety of our citizens is a priority for our government, did you -she insured.
The Minister was also delighted with the granting by Ottawa of $42 million to fight against armed violence in Quebec. We wanted an asymmetrical agreement [to] allow Quebec to manage the envelope itself [and Minister] Mendicino accepted […] so for us, this is very good news, a- she commented.
Gun violence is a growing problem in the metro area. Residents of Laval-des-Rapides mobilized in June to denounce the phenomenon and demand more security measures.
In an interview with Tout un morning, the former mayor of the Montreal borough of Villeray–Saint-Michel–Parc-Extension Anie Samson, who is now spokesperson for the Community of Citizens in Action against violent criminals, also expressed great concern about the situation.
With information from Pascal Robidas and Marc Verreault