Twitter users vote 57.5% for Elon Musk to step down

Spread the love

Twitters vote 57.5% for Elon Musk to step down

Mr. Musk, who pledged to respect the result, did not react immediately.

A majority of participants in a poll launched by Elon Musk on Twitter voted on Monday for the entrepreneur to abandon the direction of the social network.

At least 57.5% of the most 17 million voters said they were in favor of a departure from Mr. Musk, who pledged to respect the result, but did not react immediately.

< p class="e-p">Should I quit Twitter management? asked the billionaire on the night of Sunday to Monday on the social network.

I will stick to the results of this poll, he promised.

In an exchange with one of his Twitter followers, Mr. Musk assured that he had no designated successor. He indicated in another post that the platform was on the fast track to bankruptcy.

Since his takeover of the platform at the end of October, the boss of Tesla and SpaceX has caused many controversies by laying off half of Twitter's workforce, reinstating suspended accounts, suspending those of journalists and seeking to launch a new paid subscription. .

“From a botched subscription plan to banning journalists to daily political controversies, it's been the total storm as advertisers fled, leaving Twitter to widen its deficit.

— Dan Ives, Wedbush Securities Analyst

Mr. Ives estimates the company's potential losses at $4 billion a year.

The poll launched by Mr. Musk came after a new decision by the social network having caused a lot of reaction.

Twitter announced on Sunday that it would no longer be possible to post links to competing networks, such as Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon or Truth Social, the network social of Donald Trump.

It is now prohibited to tweet a message like: Thank you for following me @ID on Instagram, said the platform.

These new rules have aroused the misunderstanding of many users, including Jack Dorsey, the co-founder and former boss of Twitter.

After the suspension of certain accounts under this new rule, including that of investor Paul Graham, Mr. Musk qualified his decision.

He first tweeted that instead of targeting individual tweets, the policy would be limited to suspending accounts only when the 'main' purpose ; of this account is the promotion of competitors.

The stormy billionaire then claimed that major policy changes on the social network would always be subject to a vote .

Last week, Mr. Musk deleted and then reinstated the accounts of several US journalists from CNN, New York Times and the Washington Post in particular, causing the European Union and the UN to react. The Vice-President of the European Commission even threatened the entrepreneur with sanctions.

The multi-billionaire had first suspended @elonjet on Wednesday, an account that automatically reported private jet journeys, then the accounts of journalists who had tweeted about the decision, accusing them of putting his family at risk.

These were reinstated on Saturday, but some said they were told to delete some posts if they wanted to make full use of the platform.

On Saturday evening, the Twitter account of a Washington Post journalist, Taylor Lorenz, was in turn suspended for several hours.

Elon Musk suspended my Twitter account, said the journalist, who covers the technology sector, on his blog

His account was restored on Sunday.

Since taking over the reins of Twitter, Mr. Musk has reinstated numerous accounts that had been banned, including Mr. Trump's. He also put an end to the fight against disinformation linked to COVID-19.

On the other hand, he suspended the account of rapper Kanye West after the publication of several messages deemed anti-Semitic and denied the return to the platform of far-right conspirator Alex Jones.

Previous Article
Next Article