War in Ukraine: Mobilization of reservists soon to end, promises Putin | War in Ukraine
Russian President Vladimir Putin during a press conference after attending a summit with leaders of post-Soviet Commonwealth of States countries freelancers in Astana on Friday.
Vladimir Putin promised on Friday the end of the recall of Russian reservists and said he did not see, for the time being, the need for new massive strikes in Ukraine, where a hundred cruise missiles have fallen since Monday, according to kyiv .
The Russian president, who was speaking at a press conference at the end of a regional summit in Kazakhstan, justified his decision to order the partial mobilization of reservists at the end of September, essential according to him to hold the front line, while promising that the operation would be over in two weeks.
The line of contact is 1100 km long, so it is practically impossible to hold it with forces composed solely of soldiers under contract, in particular because they take part in offensive operations, explained the head of the Kremlin.
He clarified that 222,000 reservists had so far been mobilized, out of an expected total of 300,000.
“This work is nearing completion. I think that in about two weeks, all the mobilization operations will be finished.
— Vladimir Putin, President of Russia
Nothing else is planned. No other proposals have been received from the ministry in this regard and there is no need for it in the near future, he continued.
Since the launch of the mobilization operation, criticized even in the ranks of some ultranationalist allies of the Kremlin and which prompted thousands of Russians to leave the country, Russian forces have continued to lose ground in the country. eastern and southern Ukraine in the face of counter-offensives by Kyiv forces.
A Western official said some of the troops newly mobilized by Moscow had already suffered battlefield casualties and said their presence was unlikely to constitute a strategic turning point in the war.
“We don't aim to destroy Ukraine, of course not.
— Vladimir Putin, President of Russia
Western official says Russia is rapidly depleting its stockpiles of long-range precision munitions, especially cruise missiles air-to-ground, so it's not a campaign she's capable of running indefinitely.
Vladimir Putin announced in a televised address on Sunday that he had ordered a massive series of long-range missile strikes targeting strategic Ukrainian infrastructure in response to what he described as Ukrainian terrorist attacks, citing the x27;explosion on the Crimean Bridge, which has not been claimed.
The operation, on an unprecedented scale since the start of the war in Ukraine almost eight months ago, left several dozen dead and deprived many regions of the country of electricity. Ukraine, according to the authorities in kyiv.
Faced with the concerns, legitimate according to him, of Russia's partners such as India or China, Vladimir Putin said he did not regret his admittedly unpleasant decision to invade Ukraine.
The Russian President also reiterated the Kremlin's position that Moscow is ready to open talks to end its special operation, within the framework of international mediation, and on the obvious condition that Ukraine be willing to participate.
He said, however, that he did not see the need for a platform for negotiations with his American counterpart Joe Biden. As Ukraine continues its counter-offensives on the ground, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, a close ally of Moscow, on Friday placed his country on heightened terrorism alert due to border tensions. , Minsk accusing Ukraine of wanting to attack it, claims denied by kyiv.
Ukrainian forces are currently focusing their efforts on the Kherson region in the south of the country, which Moscow annexed at the end of September, a decision condemned by the international community. Residents evacuated from the region were due to arrive in Russia on Friday, according to the Russian news agency Tass.
Ukraine said on Friday that its armed forces resumed during the past month 600 localities, including 75 in the Kherson region and 43 in the Donetsk region in the east of the country.
General Valeri Zaluzhny, Commander-in-Chief of Ukrainian armed forces, said Friday, after a meeting with the Commander-in-Chief of NATO Forces in Europe, US General Christopher Cavoli, that the strategic initiative is currently in the hands of Ukraine. The main thing is not to stop, he said.