July 17, 2022, 08:01 | Medicine
Measures to be taken if the cut is shallow.
If you use a very sharp tool while cooking and are slightly distracted, it is easy to get injured. Accidental cuts with a knife rarely lead to serious consequences. Ukr.Media informs what situations you can deal with on your own, and when you need emergency help.
The main problem is that there are many raw products in the kitchen, on the surface of which there are bacteria. If the wound is not treated in time, they will get inside and can cause an infection.
First, it is necessary to determine how dangerous the situation is. It depends on the depth and location of the wound. It is necessary to call for emergency help in the case of cutting off a finger, severe damage to the palm, a cut of large vessels, severe bleeding that does not stop. This will help to avoid dangerous consequences – loss of function of the finger, in exceptional cases – death. A deep cut requires stitches.
Some people may lose consciousness from one type of blood, a large loss of it, severe pain. It is necessary to call an ambulance if a person feels dizzy, weak. Before the arrival of the medics, the victim must be laid down, calm and provided with fresh air.
If the cut is shallow, but blood is oozing, take the following measures:
- Wash the affected area with soap and water.
- Let the blood show for a few minutes. This will help get rid of bacteria that got into the wound. It is important that the bleeding is not strong.
- Rinse the cut again with water from the tap.
- To stop the bleeding, apply a bandage, raise your hand up.
- If you need to continue cooking, wait until the wound is clean. Then bandage it with an adhesive plaster and put on latex gloves.
- After finishing all the work in the kitchen, you can make a bandage with an ointment containing an antibiotic.