August 1, 2022, 15:01 | Medicine
What will happen if you suffer from a headache.
If you experience headache attacks, it is necessary to determine its cause and take timely measures. And here's why, informs Ukr.Media.
Some people are lucky enough to encounter a headache quite rarely, while others regularly experience unpleasant and sometimes painful sensations. Any pain in the body is a protective reaction that signals problems. Why does a headache appear and why can't it be tolerated?
Migraine and tension headache are called primary headache – they do not serve as symptoms of other diseases and occur as an independent ailment. These problems are not related to hypertension, pinched nerve endings or spasms of blood vessels.
What are primary headaches
Migraine. Sharp pain, which can be accompanied by a feeling of “pulsation”, visual effects, nausea and vomiting. Migraine often covers only half of the head. Attacks are usually provoked by bright or flashing lights, loud noises, and pungent smells, but everyone who suffers from migraines can also identify their own “triggers”. migraines It has been established that the basis of migraine lies in the hyperexcitability of neurons in the brain, and heredity plays a major role.
Tension headache. The feeling of a "swimming cap" on the head, with a feeling of pressure. Often, people continue to tolerate it, because such pain is less painful than a migraine.
Drug-dependent (abusive) headache. The third type of problem. Paradoxically, it occurs against the background of abuse of painkillers taken… because of a headache. Doctors note that taking more than 10 headache remedies per month can lead to the development of a drug-dependent form. Until now, scientists have not established a specific cause of its occurrence. In the treatment of drug-dependent headache, the doctor first helps to get rid of addiction to drugs, and only then to eliminate the primary cause.
Manifestations of various diseases and life-threatening conditions
- A sharp increase or decrease in pressure, dangerous for a stroke.
- Inflammation of the nasal and frontal sinuses, sinusitis.
- Brain tumor.
- Traumatic brain injury.
Other causes of headache
- Lack of sleep.
- Visual overload, long work at the computer or watching TV.
- Alcohol abuse.
- Excessive passion for coffee and tea (several cups a day).
Why you can't tolerate a headache
- A headache contributes to the destruction of nerve endings and affects the psycho-emotional state of a person. It increases the feeling of fatigue, increases irritability and can turn into a chronic factor for sudden mood swings.
- If you constantly endure a headache, it can become chronic.
- Headache directly affects the development of cardiovascular diseases.
- Headache can be the beginning of irreversible physiological processes in the body.
What to do with a headache
- Carefully monitor your condition and try to avoid factors that provoke the occurrence of headaches (failure to observe the daily routine, stress, use of certain products).
- If headaches are repeated, or occur suddenly and sharply, consult a doctor and follow his prescriptions.
- If there are no contraindications, take an analgesic (with migraine, the most effective medication is taken at the beginning of an attack).
When you can not take painkillers without a doctor's prescription
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Kidney failure.
- Liver disease.
- Ulcer disease.
- Hypertension or hypotension.
- Bronchial asthma or allergy.