Account X by Mélanie Joly This photo of Canadians who left the West Bank was published Monday by the Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs.
A first group of Canadians who were in the West Bank were able to leave this Palestinian territory to go to Jordan, the head of Canadian diplomacy, Mélanie Joly, announced Monday on X (formerly Twitter).
She did not say how many Canadians were able to travel to Jordan, and said nothing about those in the Gaza Strip, which has been bombarded by Israel since the massacres by Hamas fighters on October 7. last.
On Saturday, Ms. Joly assured that Ottawa was still working to get Canadians stuck in the Palestinian enclave, which is preparing for a ground invasion by the Israeli army, out.
Around 160 Canadians and their relatives are still in Gaza, she said.
I am delighted to announce that the first group of Canadians have now safely crossed the West Bank into Jordan. Thank you to our teams in Ramallah, Amman, Tel Aviv and Ottawa, who worked night and day to make this happen. pic.twitter.com/hRLB4xzfTs
— Mélanie Joly (@melaniejoly) October 16, 2023
A big thank you to our consular team @CanEmbJordan and @CanadaRepPA for their assistance today with the departures of Canadian citizens from the West Bank via Jordan. @TravelGoC @CanadaFP pic.twitter.com/Do1H7NCskb
— Tarik Ali Khan طارق علي خان (@tarikdev) October 16, 2023
Sunday, Defense Minister Bill Blair said the Canadian Armed Forces had successfully evacuated more than 1,000 people who had been in Israel since October 12.
“The flights will continue as long as necessary,” he said. indicated on X.
- Live | The latest news on the Israel-Hamas war
- No truce to allow humanitarian aid into Gaza
- “She was like a flower,” remembers someone close to Shir Georgy
- Fifth Canadian killed in Middle East conflict