Spread the love

Prison for two Iranian journalists who revealed the death of Mahsa Amini

Ozan Kose Agence France-Presse The death of Mahsa Amini, who was arrested by the moral police who accused her of having violated the dress code of the Islamic Republic, had provoked a wave of protests in Iran. In the photo, a portrait of the young woman is held by a demonstrator, in Istanbul, September 20, 2022.

Iranian justice sentenced two journalists who helped make public the death in custody of Mahsa Amini, who sparked a widespread protest movement in Iran.

Elaheh Mohammadi, 36, and Niloufar Hamedi, 31, have been incarcerated in Evin prison in Tehran since their arrest at the end of September 2022, a few days after the death of the young 22-year-old Iranian Kurd.

At the end of her trial, which has been held behind closed doors since May 29, Elahe Mohammadi, a reporter for the daily Ham Mihan, was sentenced to six years in prison for collaboration with the United States, of five years for conspiracy against the security of the country and one year for propaganda against the Islamic Republic, the justice agency Mizan Online announced on Sunday.

Tried separately, photojournalist Niloufar Hamedi, 31 years, of the reforming daily Shargh, was sentenced to seven years in prison for cooperation with the United States, five years for plotting against the security of the country and one year for propaganda against the Islamic Republic, added the same source. /p>

Under Iranian law, the heaviest penalty applies.

While the verdict can be appealed within 20 days, the Lawyers for the two journalists had not reacted midday Sunday.

Niloufar Hamedi was arrested less than a week after the death of Mahsa Amini, when she went to the hospital where the young woman was hospitalized and posted a photo of the grieving family on social networks.

Mahsa Amini was arrested in Tehran by the moral police who accused her of having violated the dress code of the Islamic Republic, in particular requiring women to wear the veil in public.

< p>Elahe Mohammadi, for her part, went to the young woman's hometown, Saqqez (west) to cover her funeral.

“Cooperation” with the United States


On the first day of her trial, Niloufar Hamedi told the court that she had “done her work as a journalist within the framework of the law and had not committed any act against the security of Iran”, according to comments reported by her husband, Mohammad Hossein Ajorlou, on social networks.

Their families and lawyers had criticized the courts for not being able to attend the trials.


International NGOs defending journalists, such as Reporters Without Borders (RSF), also mobilized to demand their release.< /p>

In August, the courts explained that their trials were not mainly linked to the Amini affair but to their “cooperation” with the “hostile United States government”, via the NGO United for Iran based in California.

The Islamic Republic has no diplomatic relations with Washington and considers the United States its sworn enemy.

The lawyer for the two journalists, Me Mohammad Ali Kamfirouzi, was detained in early January for more than three weeks before being released on bail.

Moreover, the lawyer for Mahsa Amini's family, Saleh Nikbakht, was sentenced on October 17 to one year in prison for “propaganda” against State after “speaking with foreign and local media about the case,” according to its defense.

Several hundred people, including members of security forces, were killed during the protest movement in late 2022. Thousands more have been arrested for participating in demonstrations described by authorities as “riots” orchestrated by Western countries. Seven men were hanged in connection with the protests.

Iranian media reported in August that more than 90 journalists had been harassed in different cities across Iran by authorities since the protests.

Teilor Stone

By Teilor Stone

Teilor Stone has been a reporter on the news desk since 2013. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining Thesaxon , Teilor Stone worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my teilor@nizhtimes.com 1-800-268-7116