Spread the love

Cacouna: the man who barricaded himself appeared before the courts

Open in full screen mode

Investigators from the Integrated Forensic Identification Service are still collecting information in the Place Saint-Georges building.


Steve Chassé, the man who barricaded himself in the Place Saint-Georges building in Cacouna on Wednesday, appeared Friday afternoon. This man faces three counts of inciting hatred, recklessly discharging a firearm and carrying a weapon with a dangerous purpose.

The 40-year-old man is a resident of Cacouna and has no criminal record.

He will remain detained until his release investigation, scheduled for October 30.

Open in full screen mode

Steve Chassé upon his arrival at the Rivière-du-Loup courthouse.

Criminal and penal prosecutor Annie Landreville maintains that other charges could be filed against Steve Chassé. But we are not able to wear them today. […] We had to bring the gentleman to court, so we filed charges quickly. Now, we will take the time to analyze the evidence, which is voluminous, she explains.

The man was first the target of police intervention, because he allegedly made threatening comments on social networks. On October 11, police went to his home to arrest him. On site, the man refused to open the door to the officers and confined himself inside his apartment.

From Wednesday evening to Thursday evening, the accused kept the Sûreté du Québec (SQ) police officers and the Tactical Intervention Group agents in suspense before being overpowered. He was taken to a hospital then questioned by the personal crimes division of the Sûreté du Québec.

The SQ indicates that a no one would still be missing following this event.

Friday, police officers combed the Cacouna technical landfill in connection with this case. A security perimeter was established by the SQ near the site.

This operation consists of validating the collection of information obtained after the police operation in Cacouna.

Open in full screen mode

A security perimeter has been established by the SQ near the municipal landfill site.

Investigators from the Integrated Forensic Identity Service (SIIJ) were still collecting evidence in the Place Saint-Georges building on Friday.

A security perimeter is still in place around the building where the events took place.

Residents of the north slope building were able to return to their homes on Friday, while residents of the main building will have to wait a little longer due to the investigation, according to Suzanne Rhéaume.

Wednesday evening, police intervention around Steve Chassé forced the evacuation of 34 people from the Place Saint-Georges building. A bus was chartered to transport residents of the building to a hotel in Rivière-du-Loup, said the mayor.

I spent the night with some of the evacuees, told the mayor of Cacouna, Suzanne Rhéaume, on the show Info-réveil Friday. These residents showed calm and resilience.

We hope to return to normal as soon as possible, because we are a village , a beautiful, peaceful and calm municipality. But it happens everywhere, eh!, she commented after a press briefing Friday morning.

We hear on the radio, we watch TV, we say to ourselves: "Oh my god , I hope that won't happen to us." Well, it happened to us.

A quote from Suzanne Rhéaume, mayor of Cacouna

Open in full screen mode

The mayor of Cacouna, Suzanne Rhéaume, confirms that the SQ considers the building to be a crime scene.

There, we will try to reduce anxiety a little, continued the mayor regarding the residents of Place Saint-Georges. I was happy to see them again this morning [Friday]. I congratulated them, because, despite the great anxiety, it is something. You leave your pet, you leave all your [belongings] behind and you have to leave. These people showed resilience, so I thanked them very much.

The mayor explained that the Municipality's emergency plan has quickly got underway. The municipal office was transformed into the headquarters of the SQ. It was really good teamwork, said Ms. Rhéaume, praising the collaboration of all municipal stakeholders.

Teilor Stone

By Teilor Stone

Teilor Stone has been a reporter on the news desk since 2013. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining Thesaxon , Teilor Stone worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my teilor@nizhtimes.com 1-800-268-7116